Dragon Update: Monday May 15th – 19th
Monthly Theme: Walking forward Together
Twitter: See our Mighty Dragons at work on Twitter: @wcdsbStDominic
Nutrition for Learning: Nutrition for Learning this week M/W/F
Family Math Night:Thank you to all families who were able to join us last Wednesday. The evening was a glowing success with over 250 members of our community in attendance. It was truly a celebration of learning as families explored the wonders of math through hands-on learning activities and games. A special thank you to our School Council for sponsoring the evening and providing food, prizes and grab bags and more. When parents work in partnership with the school and are invested in the children’s learning success achievement improves. The partnership is alive and well at St. Dominic. Well Done Dragons!
Calendar this Week
- Mon. May 9 – Pizza Day
- Mon. May 15 – School Track and Field Meet @ Rez (Gr. 4 – 8) – Bring sunscreen, hat, water
- Tues. May 16 – School Council Mtg. @ 6:15
- Wed. May 17 – Pottery-to-Go – Batiste/Minutillo/Herzog/Lidster
- Wed. May 17 – Scratch Coding (am) – Santos/Moreira’s Classes
- Thurs. May 18 – Sub Day
- Thurs. May 18 – Scientists in Schools – Herzog (am)
- Thurs. May 18 – Firehouse Safety Visit
- Friday May 19 – Jump for Heart – More information forthcoming
- Friday May 19 – Gr. 1 Skating at Rim Park @ 10:55
Calendar Next Week (EQAO – Gr. 3 – May 23 – 25, Mount Mary 24 – 26)
- Mon May 22nd – Victoria Day
- Wed May 24 – John Klein Visit @ 10:00 am
- Thurs. May 25 – Sub Day
- Thurs. May 25 – Classes Vertes Outdoor Camp (4 intermediates All day) – Hilde
- Friday May 26th – Gr. 1 Skating at Rim Park @ 10:55
- Sunday May 28th – Gr. 2 First Holy Communion @ 2:00 – St. Mark Parish
Calendar Week after Next (St. Dominic – Feature School of the Week)
- May 29 – 31 – Gr. 7s to Ottawa
- May 29, 30 and June 1st – Gr. 6 EQAO Testing
- Tues. May 30th – Welcome to Kindergarten Night @ 6:00 pm.
- Wed. May 31st – Cross Country Meet – Bechtel Park – Gr. 3 – 8
- Wed May 31st – Fire Drill #4 @ 9:30
- Fri. June 2nd – PA Day – No School
Parent Corner: Supporting our Mathematician. Marian Small shares the following tips for building and promoting numeracy in our children.
- Be aware of your math attitude or ‘mathattude’. Think positive!
- Encourage seeing math all around us. Point it out. Have fun with it!
- Share when you used math to help you out.
- Ask them to estimate or make predictions. Have them explain their thinking.
- Play games like Monopoly, Clue, etc. Think about the math involved and ask questions.
- When reading books, think about how to bring in mathematics.
Test booklets and examples of student answers from the past five years are available at www.eqao.com. There is also a parent resource section for your perusal on the EQAO website.
An example of a Grade 3 Mathematics Question
An example of a Grade 6 Mathematics Question
Have a wonderful week!