Dragon Update for Oct 16 – 20
We continue to have busy weeks filled with student learning and fun! This week saw us participate in a Flag Football tournament, attend a Choose your Future Day at Conestoga College, playing our first basketball and volleyball games, create elastic cars in our new Maker Space and measuring length using our school hallway space! We also were able to acknowledge the leaders in our school community by hosting our first Student of the Month lunch! Our wish is to continue to fill our days with lots of opportunity to learn in new ways and to make this the best year yet!
Quotes of the Week…
- Grade 1 – Look at how many cubes it takes to make a ruler length!
- Grade 3 – I gave so much to the food drive. People really need help and I have lots of food to share.
- Grade 4 – Welcome to our school. I am new this year too. Let me show you around.
- Grade 6 – I really like working with the robotics. I want a sphero for Christmas!
- Grade 8 – That team is tough, but we never give up!
- Parent – The way St. Dominic’s is supporting my son is amazing. This school is helping us so much.
- Teacher – Come and take a look at how my students are solving this math problem. I have some real problem solvers here!
Thanksgiving Food Drive – What an amazing act of generosity from the St. Dominic Community! We had a very successful food drive with all of the colour houses participating. We are proud that we helped to support our community by offering food items to those in need. Way to go Dragons!
Spirit Wear – Our online spirit wear shop is still available until Monday October 15th! You can order and pay online! Take a look at the link below to connect you directly to the shop! Can’t wait to see that Dragon wear around the hallways of the school!
Online store link: https://stdominicsw2017.itemorder.co
Maker Space is here!
The Learning Commons is buzzing with excitement as the Maker Space is in full use. Classes are coming down to create a build during the course of their regular school day. Teachers are incorporating technology and building projects to complement the curriculum and engage students to learn and build their capacity in new ways! This week saw students from Mr. Kropf’s class start to make elastic powered cars. Students were engaged and learning with smiles on their faces!
Dates to Remember!
- Tues. Oct 17 – Peas and Love Activity – Grade 2 (PM)
- Wed. Oct 18 – School Mass with Father Steve @ 1:00pm
- Mon. Oct 23 – PD Day
- Tues. Oct 24 – Fred Penner concert
- Wed. Oct 25 – Girls Basketball game vs. St. Matthew
- Wed. Oct 25 – Boys Volleyball game at St. Matthew
- Thurs. Oct 26 – Scientists in Schools (Grade 2 / 3)
- Wed. Nov 1 – Grade 8 visit to Resurrection
- Wed. Nov 1 – Dental Screening (Grades JK/SK, 2, 8)