Dragon Update for December 11-15
Advent – Week 2 – LOVE
This week we prepare for the second week of Advent.
Whenever we’re on mission with God like Joseph and Mary were as they waited for the birth of Jesus, we have to prepare. No one plants seeds one day and expects a harvest in the morning. There are things to do. We are called to cultivate our lives and rest in the fact that God has our future in his hands. Preparation is a statement of faith. It’s committing to trust even though you’re hurting and heartsick. As you prepare for Christmas and all God has in store for you in the new year, be challenged to prepare for all that’s in store in the following ways:
- Eliminate distractions. Don’t allow the stress of the Christmas season to distract you from what is really is important. Spend more time with the family and less time at the mall. Simplify your life.
- Notice God’s hand. Reflect on this past year. Perhaps you, like many, have faced financial difficulty. Or maybe you’ve escaped danger or disease through an unforeseen miracle. Perhaps this year has been a time of suffering or relationship disasters. How has God carried you through all these things?
- Discern God’s will. Ask God to give you direction. “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord determines his steps” (Proverbs 16:9).
- Unite in a mission. Mary and Joseph undertook an amazing mission on the way to Bethlehem. It certainly must have strengthened their bond as they conquered many obstacles and challenges. There’s nothing more powerful than a couple, a family, or a church rallying around a cause.
FAMILY CHRISTMAS WAS A HUGE SUCCESS!
Thank you to our St. Dominic School Council for all of the preparation and planning that went into our Family Christmas Night. It was a great night filled with lots of activities for parents and children to participate in. Crafts were made, raffle prizes given, baked goods consumed and pictures with Santa taken! It was evident with the smiles on student faces, that everyone enjoyed themselves! It is great knowing we have such a welcoming and inclusive St. Dominic parent community!
Try these 2 math riddles at home!
- The ages of a father and son add up to 66. The father’s age is the son’s age reversed. How old could they be?
- Using only addition, how can you add eight 8’s to get the number 1,000?
Quotes of the Week – “What do you like about the Christmas season?”
- SK – I love when my elf Sparkles comes to visit our house. She is really funny!
- Grade 1 – My grandma comes to stay with us and she makes me cookies.
- Grade 3 – There are so many fun activities that we do at school – like crafts and treats.
- Grade 4 – I love presents! And putting up the tree! And going sledding if there is snow!
- Grade 6 – Taking a break from school and hanging with my friends – and sleeping in!
- Parent – Taking time to spend with family and sharing in traditions.
- Teacher – Taking the time to spend with my family and waiting for the birth of Jesus!
Dates to Remember!
- Mon. Dec 11 – Batiste/Schnarr – Trip to Laurel Creek
- Tues. Dec 12 – Advent Week 2 Celebration
- Tues. Dec 12 – Batiste Primary Maker Space – 12:20pm
- Thurs. Dec 14- Dental Screening – JK, SK, Grade 2, Grade 8
- Fri. Dec 15- Herzog/Batiste/Schnarr/Montes – Museum Trip
- Fri. Dec 15 – Grade 5 French Plays
- Fri. Dec 15 – Coehlo Primary Maker Space – 12:20pm