Dragon Update for February 12 – 16
Dance A Thon was a huge success!
A huge thank you to all the parents and families who supported the school’s Dance-a-thon fundraiser by volunteering their time and by pledging students for the dance! We had an amazing day with lots of fun! Please remember to submit all pledge forms and money, as the overall prize winners will be determined this week! All winners will be announced on Tuesday, February 20th, right after Family Day! Thank you to our school council for their financial contributions toward our new speakers and mixer. The new sound system is awesome.
Officer Andre visits
At St. Dominic we have a very special relationship with our community resources officer from Waterloo Regional Police. Officer Andre was out to speak to all of our Grade 7 and 8 students on the importance of Internet safety and the criminal code. Students were engaged in conversations about how to keep safe in a world of technology. We appreciate our partnerships and thank the Officer for coming out to support our school.
Funny Math Jokes!
Numeracy is a big part of our day and we try to incorporate fun into our learning always! Take a look at the jokes below using math as the punchline!
- What did the zero say to the 8? Nice belt!
- Why is the number six so scared? Because seven eight nine!
- If you had 4 apples and 5 oranges in one hand and 6 apples and 7 oranges in the other, what would you have? Very large hands.
- Why do golfers carry a spare pair of socks? In case they get a hole in one.
- Why didn’t the two 4’s feel like dinner? Because they already 8.
- Natural numbers are better for your health.
- What has 6 wheels and flies? A garbage truck.
- 6 out of 5 people have difficulty with fractions.
- 63.7% of statistics are wrong.
- Math is made of 50 percent formulas, 50 percent proofs and 50 percent imagination.
- There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can’t.
Using your math strategies, try to solve the following puzzles below – get a little math talk going around your kitchen table!
- Using only addition, how do you add eight 8’s and get the number 1000?
- Sally is 54 years old and her mother is 80, how many years ago was Sally’s mother three times her age?
- Which 3 numbers have the same answer whether they’re added or multiplied together?
Dates to Remember!
- Tues. Feb 13 – Shrove Tuesday!
- Tues. Feb 13 – Coding Workshops – Junior students
- Wed. Feb 14 – Ash Wednesday
- Wed. Feb 14 – Intermediate Girls Volleyball – St. Luke’s at St. Dominic’s
- Wed. Feb 14 – Valentine’s Day
- Thurs. Feb 15 – Report Cards Distributed
- Thurs. Feb 15 – Grade 5 / 6 trip to Safety Village
- Thurs. Feb 15 -Dance A Thon Lunch Winners
- Thurs. Feb 15 – Subway Lunch
- Thurs. Feb 15 – Girl Power Group after school