Dragon Update for January 6-10
Happy New Year!
Happy New Year and welcome back to school!! Students will be buzzing tomorrow as they have been away from classes for a little bit. We will be working on re-establishing routines as we get back on track with learning. We hope that everyone was able to spend some quality time with family, friends and loved ones over the break. All the best in 2020!
The Umbrella Project Theme for January: Authenticity
The new Umbrella Project Theme for the month of January is Authenticity. Authenticity is the ability to:. Authenticity is further explained in the attached link below. Watch for further tips all month in future Dragon Updates.
APH 008: Inclement Weather Procedures
Below is a summary of important points regarding our school board policies related to Inclement Weather. Please reference this policy for detailed information regarding cancellations and early dismissals.
- We will reference www.weather.ca for accurate forecasts using PointCast location. You can also check this information from home. Simply type in the postal code for the school (N2N 3A6) and get localized information.
- When the temperature (including windchill or “feels like”) is –14°C or warmer students will be outside for the entire duration of recess.
- When the temperature (including windchill or “feels like”) is –15°C to—19°C students will be limited to 20 minutes of outdoor time at a time.
- When the temperature (including windchill or “feels like”) is –20°C or colder students will be kept indoors.
It is critical that students be dressed appropriately for Canadian winter.
- Please make sure your child has a hat, mitts/ gloves, snow pants, winter coat, boots. If you need assistance providing this for your child we are happy to help out.
Click the following link for the AP Policy Memo:
School Bus Cancellations due to Inclement Weather
All arrangements and decisions regarding student transportation are coordinated by Student Transportation Services of Waterloo Region. For detailed information regarding the procedures for Inclement Weather and Student Transportation decisions please refer to the following link:
It is extremely important for parents/ guardians to subscribe to the STSWR email notification service to be informed of any delays to your child’s transportation. Please do not call the school when your child’s bus is running late as we have no control over transportation delays. We subscribe to the STSWR Twitter feed and email notifications and therefore, receive the same updates as families through this subscription service. Please add this subscription to your personal email service to receive up to date information.
Our world is rapidly changing. Technology is evolving at light speed. And, more than ever before, strong Math Skills are critical for your child’s success in today’s world. The Mathematics Curriculum identifies seven key processes students engage in as they learn and use math. The seven processes are:
- Problem Solving
- Reasoning and Proving
- Selecting Tools and Computational Strategies
What can I do to support my child’s math learning?
- Encourage your child. Remind them that success comes from hard work and perseverance, and that making mistakes is part of learning and our Growth Mindset.
- Be positive about math! Avoid saying “I was never good at math” or “I never liked math.” Show them that you think math is important and interesting. Look for opportunities for math to be a natural part of your conversations.
- Ensure your child keeps up with his/her math homework. Make sure that your child catches up if they were away from school because math concepts build on one another.
- Be available to talk with your child about his/her math work. But do not do it for them. Give them time to figure out the answers on their own. When your child needs support, ask questions instead of showing your child directly how to do it. Allow your child to share the method used in class. If you are not familiar with the method, ask them to explain it to you. This will help them to understand it better, as well.
Dates to Remember
Mon Jan 6- Pizza Day
Wed Jan 8- KW Hydro Presentation for Gr 5 and 6
Wed Jan 8- KW Art Gallery Presentation for Gr 3
Fri Jan 10- First Aid Training for Grade 6 AM
Mon Jan 13- Pizza Day
Mon Jan 13- Catholic School Council Meeting 6:15 PM
Wed Jan 15- KW Art Gallery Visit for Gr 3
Wed Jan 15- Pathways and Mt Mary Meeting for Gr 8s 6:30 PM
Thurs Jan 16- Laurel Creek Trip for Mrs. Batiste and Ms. Schnarr’s Classes All Day