Dragon Update for January 20-24
The Umbrella Project Theme for January: Authenticity
The new Umbrella Project Theme for the month of January is Authenticity. Authenticity is the ability to:. Authenticity is further explained in the attached link below. Watch for further tips all month in future Dragon Updates.
Tuesday OECTA Job Action
Just a reminder that our school will be closed on Tuesday as our teachers’ association, the Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association, is holding a one day job action. Our Extended Day Program will be running, as usual, for those students who are registered with that program. All other students will be at home on Tuesday.
Kindergarten Registration- No Experience Needed (Rebroadcast)
Calling all Baby Dragons:
- Online at https://register.wcdsb.ca/
- Download a package at https://www.wcdsb.ca/our-schools/register-for-school/entering-kindergarten/
- Visit us in the school’s office for a hard copy.
Congratulations to the Dragon Nautical Engineering Team!
A group of Grade 8 students travelled to Fergus to compete in an Innovation Boat Building Challenge last week. The students did a great job building their boat and represented our school very admirably! Well done Dragons!
Chris D’sousa Presentation
We are very lucky to have Chris D’sousa coming to St. Dominic this Wednesday, January 22nd, to speak to our students about Diversity and Inclusion. He has conducted over 5000 presentations and has been recognized with a National Award for his work in Education. He is the author of 3 books and an accomplished songwriter. Thanks goes out to the Catholic School Council for generously supporting this very worthwhile presentation. Please watch one of Chris’ videos attached at the following link:
“PINK SHIRT DAY” 2020 T-shirt Sale
Order your PINK SHIRT DAY 2020 T Shirt via School Cash Online.
Let’s all be pink on Feb. 26th!
Winter Weather Reminders
Now that winter seems to have set in for good, parents need to be aware of a couple of reminders regarding the colder weather:
- Please make sure to send in a couple of pairs of mittens and socks for your child(ren) as playing in the snow can make them pretty wet. These items do not dry out quickly and an extra set will help your child(ren) be more comfortable at recess.
- Snow pants are a must if your child(ren) are going to be playing in the snow making forts or spending any time on the hills. Snow pants will help them stay warm and dry, and comfortable for the rest of the day. As well, winter boots are now a must to keep their feet warm and dry!
Wellness Tips for Students
It is very important for students to take some steps to take care of their health. There are many cases of students being sick and having to go home. Avoiding illness can be achieved by taking some small steps that would reduce one’s chances of becoming ill. Please read the article at the following link for some student wellness tips.
Dates to Remember
Mon Jan 20- Pizza Day
Mon Jan 20- Boys’ Basketball game at Sir Edgar Bauer
Mon Jan 20- Girls’ Volleyball game vs Sir Edgar Bauer
Tues Jan 21- OECTA Job Action: No school for students
Wed Jan 22- Chris D’Sousa Presentation on Inclusion and Diversity
Wed Jan 22- KW Art Gallery Post Visit for Gr 3
Wed Jan 22- Boys’ Basketball game vs St. Matthew
Wed Jan 22- Girls’ Volleyball game at St. Matthew
Fri Jan 24- PD Day: no school for students!
Mon Jan 27- Pizza Day
Fri Jan 31- Junior Coding
Sat Feb 1- Knights of Columbus Free Throw Contest at St. David’s CSS