Bring your festive spirit to school tomorrow and wear your favourite Christmas Sweater.
Also, the lost and found items are out in the front foyer of our school and will be there until Friday.
Please come and see if your child has misplaced anything. Any items not picked up by Friday, will be donated to St. Vincent de Paul.
It is with great enthusiasm we congratulate all December Student of the Month winners, on a job well done! They have won Student of the Month, for December 2017! To celebrate, St. Dominic Savio will be holding a pizza lunch on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 This lunch will be a pepperoni & cheese pizza from Gino’s Pizza. The winners for December demonstrated the virtue of “HOPE” in their daily interactions. Thank you to all Students for setting a great example. Please follow the link to see if your child was the recipient of Student of the Month for December: Student of the Month – December 2017
Dear All Parents/Guardians of Students attending St. Dominic Savio,
We are excited to share that the St. Dominic community is celebrating Christmas Mass at St. Mark Church on Wednesday, December 20th at 10:00 am. Students will be shuttled by bus beginning at 9:20 and returning at 11:40 am.
We ask that you complete the permission form sent home today and return it to the school by Wednesday morning. As it is an entire school event we will assume we have your blessing and consent.
Please feel free to join us for the church services.
Runstedler & Heather Papp
Please follow the link to obtain the permission forms in the case that your child was absent today and didn’t receive copies. Christmas Trip & Christmas Trip Page 2. Both forms are required for your child to attend Mass, tomorrow, Wednesday, December 20th, 2017
Mrs. Campbell is thrilled to showcase some of the Christmas talents on Friday, December 22nd at 9:45 am in the gym. All parents, guardians, friends and family are welcome to join. Please mark your calendar. If you have any questions, please contact me (Susan Campbell) at the school – 519-576-5503 or email me: email@example.com (email would be best!!)
Have your child wear Christmas colours/hats/fun headbands that day to look extra festive when they present their song/play/dance.
From my family to yours, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!!
Dragon Update for December 18-22
Advent – Week 3 – JOY!
This week we prepare for the third week of Advent.
How to Choose Joy!
- Share: Invite each family member to share one thing that they’re trusting God to handle.
- Encourage: Write a note to someone who is experiencing fear and worry. Let them know you’re praying that God will give them the courage they need.
- Evaluate: Make an inventory of the things that bring you joy.
- Express: Make the time and space to share a meal and a fun experience. This is such a busy week! Don’t miss the joy of sharing the experience of Christmas with each other.
Peace Tree Team
Our Peace Tree Team is working hard at gathering and preparing items for their Annual Christmas Craft Sale! The sale will take place all next week! All proceeds will be going to support global efforts. We hope you will be able to come by and see the crafts for sale.
Student of the Month
We celebrated another student of the month luncheon that focussed on peace. Students enjoyed having lunch with each other, listening to Christmas music and sharing in a candy cane treat. Congratulations to everyone!
Our Grade 5 students were fantastic as they showed their parents and the school community their oral communication skills as they performed their French Plays. They created costumes, wrote scripts and performed proudly. The library was buzzing with the excitement and accomplishments of all students. Special thanks to Mme. Reist and Mme. Tank for their leadership.
Riddles work! Take a look at some of the benefits of working on riddles with your children at home.
Riddles work their brains: Problem solving and critical thinking skills are two of the most important and sought after abilities in society today. Riddles have been shown to improve children’s comprehension and creativity, making them the perfect prep for children.
Reading comprehension: Most students can read to some extent, but this doesn’t mean that they can read quickly enough or understand difficult content that will enable them to be useful in the workforce. Riddles can help out with this by expanding vocabulary and increasing the ability to understand context.
Expand their vocabulary: When children encounter words that they don’t understand they figure them out through context. Riddles give words a great deal of context which makes it easier for children to learn, remember and use these words. In another way, riddles force kids to ask more questions about words they don’t understand.
Giving them the opportunity to teach: Teaching kids riddles allows them to know and understand something that most other people do not, giving them an opportunity to repeat them and teach them to others. When children learn riddles it’s very different from most of what they learn, they can teach these riddles to their peers, parents, and teachers. This reinforces their understanding of the riddle and it also allows them to interact with people in a constructive social way.
Try these at home!
Quotes of the Week – “What do you like to do in the snow?”
- JK – I like to make snow angels.
- Grade 2 – My friends and I make forts and hide from one another.
- Grade 3 – I like to make a snowman and sometimes throw snowballs but not at school!
- Grade 5 – I like to go sledding with my family. We have hot chocolate and go at night.
- Grade 7 – I am a snowboarder and I like the speed of going down the hill. I like to do tricks as well.
- Parent – I like to go for nighttime walks in the snow with our family. We look at all the lights. It is just beautiful!
Dates to Remember!
- Mon. Dec 18 – Advent Week 3 Celebration over the Announcements at 9:30am
- Tues. Dec 19 – Free the Children Christmas Craft Sale
- Tues. Dec 19 – Cimermancic Primary Maker Space – 12:20pm
- Wed. Dec 20 – Mass at St. Mark’s Parish (10:00am)
- Wed. Dec 20 – Student of the Month Luncheon @ 12:20
- Wed. Dec 20 – Resurrection Music Concert – whole school 1:00pm
- Thurs. Dec 21 – Subway Lunch Orders
- Thurs. Dec 21 – Christmas Sweater Day
- Fri. Dec 22- Santa Hat Day
- Fri. Dec 22 – Grade 7/8 Bowling Trip – 1-3:30pm
- Fri. Dec 22 – Mrs. Campbell Christmas Celebration – 9-11:30am
WE RETURN TO SCHOOL ON MONDAY JANUARY 8TH, 2018
Pat & Heather
“CHRISTMAS CRAFT SALE” to support “Free the Children” pillar of “Opportunity in India”
This Advent season, we are raising money for our Social Justice affiliate organization of “Free the Children”. For the past six years we have been supporting “Free the Children” programs. This year, St. Dominic Savio students have decided to support India by donating money to their “Opportunity Pillar” (which allocates money for men and women to start local businesses that will provide for their family and make their area sustainable). Please visit the attached letter that was sent home with your child: Christmas Craft Sale
“Christmas Craft Sale” will take place on Tuesday December 19th, 2017 in the front foyer of St. Dominic Savio
You can help us raise as much money as possible in a couple of ways:
1. If you are looking to buy a Christmas gift for someone special or you just want to think of others at Christmas, you could bring in money to BUY some special crafts on Tuesday December 19th. (Please note: All crafts will be reasonably priced between $1.00 and $10.00).
2. You can DONATE craft items (e.g. ornaments, decorations etc.). We would then sell the finished craft items to raise money. The craft could be made by you or someone else. It should be finished and reflect the theme of “Christmas” and “giving”. We appreciate any support you can give to help St. Dominic Savio raise money on Tuesday, December 19th. We want to help as many people as possible in India so that they can have opportunities to support themselves and their communities.
Thank you for your support in advance. Let’s raise as much money as we can for “Opportunity in India”!
(Please note: If you can donate something, please bring it to school on the morning of Tuesday December 19th).
It is with great enthusiasm we wish to congratulate all Student of the Month winners, on a job well done!
To celebrate, St. Dominic Savio will be holding a pizza lunch on Tuesday, December 12, 2017. This lunch will be a pepperoni &/or cheese pizza from Gino’s Pizza.
The winners for November demonstrated the virtue of “PEACE” in their daily interactions. Thank you to all Students for setting a great example.
Please review the link to follow to see the list of names for Student of the Month winners for November: November 2017 Student of the Month
If you have ordered through our ESNS program this is a reminder that this Thursday, is Boston Pizza lunch and Friday, is Menchies Treat Day.
Dragon Update for December 11-15
Advent – Week 2 – LOVE
This week we prepare for the second week of Advent.
Whenever we’re on mission with God like Joseph and Mary were as they waited for the birth of Jesus, we have to prepare. No one plants seeds one day and expects a harvest in the morning. There are things to do. We are called to cultivate our lives and rest in the fact that God has our future in his hands. Preparation is a statement of faith. It’s committing to trust even though you’re hurting and heartsick. As you prepare for Christmas and all God has in store for you in the new year, be challenged to prepare for all that’s in store in the following ways:
- Eliminate distractions. Don’t allow the stress of the Christmas season to distract you from what is really is important. Spend more time with the family and less time at the mall. Simplify your life.
- Notice God’s hand. Reflect on this past year. Perhaps you, like many, have faced financial difficulty. Or maybe you’ve escaped danger or disease through an unforeseen miracle. Perhaps this year has been a time of suffering or relationship disasters. How has God carried you through all these things?
- Discern God’s will. Ask God to give you direction. “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord determines his steps” (Proverbs 16:9).
- Unite in a mission. Mary and Joseph undertook an amazing mission on the way to Bethlehem. It certainly must have strengthened their bond as they conquered many obstacles and challenges. There’s nothing more powerful than a couple, a family, or a church rallying around a cause.
FAMILY CHRISTMAS WAS A HUGE SUCCESS!
Thank you to our St. Dominic School Council for all of the preparation and planning that went into our Family Christmas Night. It was a great night filled with lots of activities for parents and children to participate in. Crafts were made, raffle prizes given, baked goods consumed and pictures with Santa taken! It was evident with the smiles on student faces, that everyone enjoyed themselves! It is great knowing we have such a welcoming and inclusive St. Dominic parent community!
Try these 2 math riddles at home!
- The ages of a father and son add up to 66. The father’s age is the son’s age reversed. How old could they be?
- Using only addition, how can you add eight 8’s to get the number 1,000?
Quotes of the Week – “What do you like about the Christmas season?”
- SK – I love when my elf Sparkles comes to visit our house. She is really funny!
- Grade 1 – My grandma comes to stay with us and she makes me cookies.
- Grade 3 – There are so many fun activities that we do at school – like crafts and treats.
- Grade 4 – I love presents! And putting up the tree! And going sledding if there is snow!
- Grade 6 – Taking a break from school and hanging with my friends – and sleeping in!
- Parent – Taking time to spend with family and sharing in traditions.
- Teacher – Taking the time to spend with my family and waiting for the birth of Jesus!
Dates to Remember!
- Mon. Dec 11 – Batiste/Schnarr – Trip to Laurel Creek
- Tues. Dec 12 – Advent Week 2 Celebration
- Tues. Dec 12 – Batiste Primary Maker Space – 12:20pm
- Thurs. Dec 14- Dental Screening – JK, SK, Grade 2, Grade 8
- Fri. Dec 15- Herzog/Batiste/Schnarr/Montes – Museum Trip
- Fri. Dec 15 – Grade 5 French Plays
- Fri. Dec 15 – Coehlo Primary Maker Space – 12:20pm